Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wanderings for the week of October 27, 2008

Good Thursday everyone- the day before Halloween! Do you have your costume? Those who were in church on Sunday know that I already do. Turkey drumstick anyone?

I pray you have been enjoying the Genesis sermon series as much as I have. Each week I get to revisit and learn more about this wonderful book that is perhaps my favorite book in all of the Bible.

Word of reminder: if you ever wish to have a copy of a sermon, feel free to ask me and I can print one off for you, or e-mail it, or you can always go to my blog to read it or send it to someone you think would enjoy it. My blog is: pastoralsole.blospot.com

Just cut and paste it and you should get there in no problem.

This week we look at Genesis 33:1-20. Jacob and Esau finally meet up after 20 years of being apart. If you recall, Esau was so filled with hate towards Jacob that he said "I will kill my brother Jacob." (Gen 27:41). In fact, those are the last words Esau will speak until chapter 33. And if actions speak louder then words, look at what Esau says (through his actions) to Jacob on 33:4. I'm not going to tell you because I want you to read it for yourself.

What I want to talk about is what transpires on verses 12-20. Different scholars interpret this different ways, some choose to ignore it. Is Jacob lying? Telling a half-truth? Making excuses? Did the writer accidentally leave something out? Does Jacob ever appear in Seir as he said he would? And what's this all about?

I wonder if the answer lies in the final chapter of Genesis, in verses 50:15-21. Joseph's brother's apparently didn't fully trust their brother after what they did to him. Perhaps Jacob doesn't fully trust Esau after all Jacob did to him.

One thing is very clear, Jacob does not end his life being the same person he started as. He made his share of mistakes, of which he had to pay a serious price, but he was also blessed and forever changed by his life and encounters with God. Maybe 33:12-20 is a reminder that even after one has an encounter, rarely does someone change over night, but it does not mean they are any less worthy or worth being loved.

I pray all is well, and we all have a safe, fun Halloween weekend.

Peace,
Pastor G

No comments: