Sunday, June 27, 2021

Pride 2021 Message, Sebring Florida

   Rev. George Miller

June 27, 2021

LGBTQIA PRIDE

 

It is an honor to speak today.

It is important that we start

By honoring 2 of our ancestors

who made PRIDE possible.

 

On June 28, 1969

When the powers that be thought they could raid a gay bar to bring shame

and humiliation upon the people,

It was a black drag queen,

and a trans woman of color

Who had the courage and audacity to say “Heck no!” and “I have my civil rights!”

 

Today, we give thanks and pay respect to Marsha P. Johnson & Zazu Nova

who literally started a revolution.

 

I also want to give thanks to my father, Herbert Allen Miller.

 

My Dad was an alpha male. A man’s man. An Eagle Scout, Vietnam Vet,

NYC Cop, and leader of Troop 100.

 

One day when I was 16, I went to a party. Got drunk for the 1st time.

Came home. Told my parents every deep dark secret.

 

“I’m not gay, I’m not gay,” I told them, “Everyone thinks I’m gay but I’m not.”

 

The next day, my father came into my room to discuss the night before.

 

He said “And about you being gay.  It doesn’t matter to me if you are gay or straight.  I love you no matter what.”

 

With that, my Dad, alpha male NYC Cop, gave me a big hug and a kiss.

 

So, when I discovered, at 21 that I really was gay, I could tell my father without fear and live my life as an openly gay man and church pastor.

 

It has not always been easy, but I thank God for my father, who showed me what it means to be a man, and let me know that I was OK.

 

Not everyone has that.

Not everyone has been told by their Dad or their Mom or their Church or their Pastor that they are “OK.”

 

But I am here to tell you-

You are OK.

You are beautiful.

And you are beloved.

 

Before we start our March there’s 2 things to empower us with.  A way to change the dialogue and use our words.

 

Because words are powerful.

 

One, I do not believe homosexuality is a sin.  In the Bible, “sin” means to “miss the mark” or a “tragic mistake.”

 

Honey, we are nowhere near being a tragic mistake.

 

When people think they’re being nice and say “Well, I hate the sin, but love the sinner,” stop them right there and say “Being LBGTQIA is not a sin.”

 

“Bigotry, hatred, injustice, oppression- now those are sins.”

 

2nd- when people say “I don’t care what you do in the bedroom,” stop them right there.

 

Our identity is not all about what’s done in the bedroom.

 

It’s about community.  It’s about attraction.  It’s about love. 

 

It’s about forming your own family.

 

It’s about being your authentic self, and it’s about being with someone who makes your authentic self’s heart sing.

 

When people try to reduce our identity to nothing more than a closed door activity, we should grieve for them.

 

If someone feels they have to reduce the LGBTQIA community to a behavior that must be hidden…you got to wonder “What are they hiding?”

 

And if that person can only define us in terms of sexual activity, how do they define their own relationships?

 

Do they only see their husband, their wife as someone they get to do things with behind closed doors and that’s it?

 

If that’s true, then it is truly sad.


Friends, allies- as we prepare to March, let us remember the Spirit of today.


Today is not a protest.

Today is not a demonstration.

 

Today is a Celebration.

 

A Celebration that we are Here.

And we are beautiful.

 

The lesbian and gay.

We are beautiful.

 

The bisexual and transexual.

We are beautiful.

 

The Queer, intersex, and non-binary.

We are beautiful.

 

Our Allies. Our friends.

Our Mothers & Fathers

Our Aunts and Uncles.

Our Sisters and Brothers.

Our Elders.

 

Anyone, who at any time spoke up

And spoke out.

 

We are beautiful.

 

And we are here.

 

We are your

Coffee barristers

Your teachers

Your care givers

 

We are your veterans

Your first responders

Your farmers

 

We are beautiful.

And we are here-

 

Your artists

Your musicians

Your preachers.

 

We are beautiful.

And we are here-

 

Your sister your brother

Your aunt your uncle

Your neighbor

Your coworker

 

We are beautiful.

And we are here.

 

We give thanks.  

And we shout “Happy PRIDE!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have a stupid question. I know you are a Minister and was wondering if your denomination recognizes Jesus Christ as the son of God and the only way of salvation as he himself stated? My friend says he is a devout Christian but doesn't believe in the divinity of Jesus nor his resurrection. I find this really disingenuous. If I'm calling myself a follower of Islam, then I must believe that everyone who is not Muslim will not go to paradise. I've had in depth conversations with many Muslims (I lived in Jordan and Turkey for work). They are not ashamed of their religious texts and state openly that homosexuality is sin and LGBTQ go to hell. They also will not compromise in what they believe to be God's words as given through Muhammad. My friend told me that honestly, he believes the Quran and hadiths should be followed and practicing lgbtq should be killed. He lived in Turkey but now lives in Sebring.
If Muslims are devout and believe with faith that God has given them the truth, why are Christian's so eager to distance themselves from the book the claim to be their guide and the God/Man Jesus they claim to serve? I am a Christian but find myself being drawn to Islam because they don't make excuse for their beliefs. They dont change the Quran to fit their way of life like Christians change the bible so they can do what they want.
I guess I don't understand why Christians use Jesus as a tool to disobey what the bible says. I'm not against it, I just think it's hypocritical to say Gay is Ok according to God and then say 'The bible meant not being hospitable ia wrong', or 'The bible isn't accurate but my interpretation is accurate. It seems like Christians pick and choose what they want and ignore the hard stuff. I'm certain God loves everyone but he also talks about sin in specifics - not just 'missing the mark'. If in the same sentence God says murders, child abusers and homosexuals will not see the kingdom of God, does that mean murders and child rapists will also go to heaven since the bible is wrong about gay people. I'm just trying to understand if you believe Jesus is who is claimed and is the only way to get to heaven? If not, why do you make God in your image instead of being made into his. Sometimes Islam makes more sense because Muslims are wishy washy. They k ow what they believe God said and they live it.
Christian's seem weak and afraid. They want to live however they want and say 'Oh, God doesn't care. Do what you want'.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, meant to say that Muslims ARE NOT wishy washy like Christians are . THANKS!!

Pastorl Sole said...

Thank you for taking the time to write.
Simply put-Jesus never said homosexuality was a sin.
Jesus does not condemn homosexuality.
Peace, Pastor George