Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Sermon for Nov 2, 2014; Matthew 23:1-12

Rev. George Miller
Matthew 23:1-12
Nov 2, 2014

A few months ago I was given a poem by John Paul Moore. It goes like this:

“I’ve never made a fortune
And it’s probably too late now,
But I don’t worry ‘bout that much…
I’m happy anyhow.
And as I go along life’s journey
I’m reaping better than I sowed
And I’m drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed.

I’ve not got a lot of riches
And sometimes the goin’s tough
But I’ve got my family and friends that
love me and that makes me rich enough.
I just thank God for his blessings
And the mercies he’s bestowed…
And I’m drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed.

I remember times when things went wrong
My faith got a little bit thin
But all at once the dark clouds broke
And that old sun peeked through again.
So, Lord, help me not to gripe
About all the tough rows I have hoed,
I’m drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed.

And if God gives me strength and courage
When the way grows steep and rough,
I’ll not ask for other blessings,
I’ve already had enough.
And may I never be too busy
To help another bear his load…
Then I’ll keep drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed.”

Here is a poem that speaks in gentle terms about what today’s reading tries to teach us in harsh terms: humility and contentedness, loving neighbor and loving God.

What we just heard falls into the category we can call “Angry Jesus.” This is certainly not the Jesus, meek and mild, that hangs in our Council room walls.

This is not the sunkissed, tousled haired, smiling Jesus that greets people as they enter our Fellowship Hall.

This is brash, bold, bustin’ Jesus who uses his words wisely and with clear intent to stir the pot, get a reaction and force people to think.

While standing within earshot of the religious leaders of his day, Jesus tells the people to do as they say, but not as they do.

Jesus points out the flaws of their leaders and scholars: they place too much burdens on others, they put on acts of show, they vie for the best seat at the table, they adorn themselves with flashy things and they expect everyone to greet them with titles of honor and prestige.

And that’s just the first 12 verses. Read the rest of the chapter and you’ll hear how Jesus boldy, brashly, bustingly calls them children of hell, blind guides, and hypocrites.

Jesus challenges them for worrying about the cleanliness of their saucers rather than the contents of their hearts, for caring more about spices than justice, mercy and faith.

He calls each and every one of them snakes, vipers, and murderers. Is it any wonder his journey led to a cross?

This kind of reading, this kind of scripture is not the most comfortable to read let alone teach, because anyone who tries to point a finger will find 4 fingers pointing right back.

So, let me tell you a story.

As anyone who read this week’s KIT or my FaceBook page knows, I went to Tire Kingdom this week to fix a leaky tire.

To pass the time, I brought my Bible and notepad and research books to prepare for today’s sermon. I was reading what the scholars had to say, trying to figure out just what the heck I’m going to say.

I look over at the guy next to me; he’s reading the paper, but not any paper: the Sun News Times, and he just so happens to be on the page about our church and the Shepherd’s Pantry.

Clear as day I can see the photo of Tracy Miller and I. It was a most surreal moment. I’ve never had that happen before.

He looks over at me and there’s this moment where I can tell exactly what he is thinking.

My ego wants to bubble up and say “That’s me!” but this dang scripture is right before me, challenging me to not boast or brag.

I would not have been drinking from a saucer whose cup had overflowed, but drinking from a bling-ed out goblet of pride.

Well, maybe I can let him know that’s the church I pastor. What could be wrong with that? It could be an opportunity for evangelism, to further get our name out.

But let’s be honest, it wouldn’t have been that. It would have been a moment to feel like a star, to briefly enjoy the spotlight and to bubbly say “That’s me.”

Not what Jesus- the brash, the bold, the bustin’- would have wanted.

That’s the thing about Jesus- he challenges us. Even 2,000 years later, he still challenges us.

Through the Holy Scripture Jesus speaks across space, time and culture to challenge his leaders, his followers, and his people.

When he challenges us, it’s not as the gentle, meek and mild man we see in our Council Room or the sun-kissed guy in the Fellowship Hall.

It’s this guy standing in front of the Pharisees and scribes who is saying “Do what they say, not what they do. Do not be called rabbi or Father. And those who exalt themselves will be humbled.”

So the question is “why?” Why does Jesus go on this ranting tirade that upsets everyone around him and brings him one step closer to the cross?

Is he insane? Is he addicted to chaos? Does he have a death wish?

No. It’s because he loves.

He loves the people he is talking to. He loves the people he is talking about. He loves the community he is standing in.

See, it’s important to recall that Jesus is not speaking as an outsider smugly looking in and telling the people they got everything wrong.

Jesus is an insider.

He’s a Jew, just like the Pharisees and Sadducees, just like the scribes and the people present, and he sees them.

He knows them. He’s in relationship with them. He shares their same history, he shares their same stories, her shares their same ancestors in David and Jonathon, Miriam and Moses, Abraham and Sarah.

He shares the same God who blesses, who saves, who creates.

And he knows they can do so much better; they can do so much more than they currently are.

Jesus knows that as God’s Children they have two very simple responsibilities: to love their neighbor and to love their Lord with all their heart, with all their soul and with all their mind.

Not to love titles, or to love first row seats or to love gold plated cups and utensils.

But to focus on the things that really, truly mattered: the blessings that have been bestowed, the journeys that lay ahead and the grace that have been given.

Or as Jesus says in 23:23 “…the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith.”

Yes, in today’s reading Jesus is bold, brash and bustin’…but he still speaks to them with words of hope and words of relational love.

For is verse 38 his parental heart pours out as he states “How often I have desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her (offspring) under her wings…”

Even in disappointment, even in righteous anger, Jesus still desires to protect them, he still desires to guide and cherish them.

He still desires to call them blessed.

If only they can get out of their own way, stop trying to make things so difficult and embrace the font of every blessing that is before them.

If only they can learn to embrace the sentiment in this morning’s poem:

“I’ve never made a fortune
And it’s probably too late now,
But I don’t worry ‘bout that much…
I’m happy anyhow.
And as I go along life’s journey
I’m reaping better than I sowed
And I’m drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed…

…And if God gives me strength and courage
When the way grows steep and rough,
I’ll not ask for other blessings,
I’ve already had enough.
And may I never be too busy
To help another bear his load…
Then I’ll keep drinkin’ from my saucer
‘cuase my cup has overflowed.”

If there is one thing to walk away from today’s message is that Jesus’ love for us is a relational love that came from knowing who we are and whose we are.

Yes, he could be bold, brash and busting, but he did it as a Mother or Father would do.

Jesus offered that grace-filled, relational love so that we, in turn, can share that love with others, ourselves and with our God, because in Christ, our saucer, our cups, our plates, our tables overflow.

Amen and amen.

No comments: